Monday, March 1, 2010

side effects

This is all part of it I guess.  To make a long story short...I am on quite a few prescriptions since this all began a month ago.  Some of those medications, although they are needed and beneficial in the fight against cancer, have some adverse side effects.  Weird odd side effects, not to mention, when you ween off them, they take on a whole new face and do weird things.  Plus throw 3 weeks radiation in there and thats where I am at now.  If I was to stay on some of these medications long enough, they can be harmful, so we are working on try to taper off some of the dosages.  In doing so I have become very weak.  One of the side effects is muscle fatigue and deterioration.  So now the new challenge is overcoming this weekness.  I cannot desribe how deteriorated my muscles have become, especially my legs.  Apparently, this is all part of it, which I was ensured was the case after speaking with Dr. Paloyan.  The steriod I am on is very effective from an oncologic standpoint, but as stated, extended use is harmful, and the procress of weening off of it can be tricky.

I can't really complain.  I am just about a month into this diagnosis and really have not had too many adverse side effects from anything until now.  The radiation has a few that I am coping with now, and this medication issue, but all and all, life ain't bad, and surly could be worse.

Some exercise and physical threapy is probably in store in the future as soon as my back is up to it.  As for now, its more radiation this morning.  This evening I am scheduled to have a port installed at the hospital, a simple outpatient procedure.  The biggest issue with that is the 12 hours of fasting before.

6 comments:

  1. You have such a wonderful attitude! Missed you guys this week-end. We were freezing in Cincinnati, but the team took all three games. You and Grant can lift weights together. Prayers for a smooth procedure tonight and see you soon.
    Love Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike this is a cousin of your mom's from up North! Your Grandma(My Aunt Bev) sent me this blog tonight so we can all see how you are doing. You proably don't remember us cuz it's been awhile but know that we are all praying for you! Seems like alot going on in all of our families right now but all we can do is support everyone and pray that everyone gets better! You are in our thoughts and good luck in what you're facing now! Uncle Bill has our thoughts to and my mom is in contact with them so we will be praying for both of you!

    Your cousin,

    Sue Rusch

    ReplyDelete
  3. With how much you were eating before the 12 hour fast I cannot imagine how hungry you were afterwards!!! I'm sure Pam and Stacy's incredible culinary skills have been greatly appreciated these past few weeks. If there's anything in particular you're craving tell Stac to let me know and I'll either make it for you guys or just buy it and pass it off as home-made :)

    Thinking of you both all the time!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI-HO HI-HO its off to CHEM-O we go this will be the start of something BIG.

    Go Tigers Grandpa Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike, Pick the best, most comfortable lazy boy chair kick back & relax you are now on the highway to success winning the battle of your life and WIN IT YOU WILL. Grandpa Bill tells me the crossword puzzles in the New York Times book are just to difficult so maybe you two better try sudoko I can beat both of you at that. Want to race? LOVE YOU GRANDMA BEVERLY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for all the commments...

    The appeatite has subsided some Catherine, but not much! Thanks for all you have done, I appreciate it and know Stacy does as well, we are lucky to have you as a friend.

    The crosswords are VERY tough, I havnt finished one yet, I have a half dozen about 80% done.

    ReplyDelete