Monday, March 15, 2010

^define^

I am not sure I am ready to recieve what I wanted.  If you read the past few posts that I have published on this blog, I have made the comment that I was ready to get into a "routine".  I have made that comment in person to people who asked how I was doing.  I convinced myself that I was tired of not knowing, tired of waiting for answers and ready to get on with getting better.  To an extent, I am.  I want nothing more than to just wake up and get back to work, to that daily routine.  I am not ready for this daily routine though.  The routine of being a cancer patient.  It hurts to type those words even.  I feel my eyes swelling up and a lump grows in my throat just getting those words in text.  With that said, I guess some clarification is needed.  I will not ever allow this to be my normal, no one should.  I found myself this Monday morning waking up as though this is my new life.  Just another start to another week.  More appointments and treatments.  Have I began to treat this as my career?  I am limited in what I can do physically to keep my mind occupied through out the day, just due to nature of type of cancer I have, but still, thats no excuse.  I find myself almost letting the disease drive the bus for a while, which a while back, I thought would be ideal.  Just get into the routine of treatment and go with the flow.  I am not sure thats so much what I need, atleast not sure thats what my mind needs.  No one has to accept cancer, or the diagnosis they are given.  You dont have to look far in any part of society to realize that numbers and stats do lie, or atleast they are not always right.  Maybe they dont lie, but they certainly decieve and mislead.

I am not ready to let anyone else drive this short bus full of crazy besides me.  It may be easier to just sit back and let someone, but that wouldnt be true to character; however a proactive approach, spearheaded by yours truly would seem a bit more true to form.  Now I am not going rewrite any books on medicine, but I'll be damned if I am gonna let this single battle shape and define my life or who I am, no matter how siginifcant this battle is.

There is some question that lingers in my mind as to what my new "normal" will be.  Time will tell.  Thats the new anticipation I suppose.  Before we searched for a diagnosis, then we sought an effective approach to treatment.  Now with those two objectives passified for now, I find my mind wandering to the next question, which is "whats next".  I dont think anyone knows, it is truly a day to day situation.  I have however accepted that my new "normal" will not be the same as my old.  Thats not terrible, but simply different.  I will have some different limitations I am sure.  I dont remember what normal is.  Its not this, I know that much.  This has got to make us all better though in the long run I would imagine.  Life couldn't have brought me this far just to drop me on my head.  There is a plan in store that is going to make us all better people and peers to one another when the dust settles, I am certain.

I have to get around and get to my shot's this morning..... keep the support coming.  Its been amazing, and so welcome.  There are times that are tough, but it doesnt take long to find someone to lean on for support and guide me through, even when they dont realize they are.

-IM OUT

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, Read your blog this AM and I so admire you and so very proud of how you are personally handling this horrible disease. Another person I really admire is the way your wife Stacy is coping with all of this along with your parents Tom & Angie not to mention your extended family. Anyway any time you need someone to lean on Your Grandma Beverly is always there to listen, give hugs and love you know that. Hang in there big guy remember we come from good stock and WE WILL ACCOMPLISH THE PLAN WITH GODS HELP.

    Love you Grandma Beverly and Grandpa Bill too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strength & attitude is amazing & that's what will get you through this! If you don't fight you have nothing!!! Your blog is very important to everyone because it shows the other side of cancer that we don't see and it makes people appreciate what you are going through!! Keep up the spirits Mike & you weill win!! Sue Rusch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytime I finish reading your blog I am both awed and encouraged. Awed by your spirit and encouraged to stop, slow down, and appreciate life. I think you and Stacy (and your whole family) have more strength than can even be put into words.

    Love and prayers for continued success and strength in your battle!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all that you do Grandma and Grandpa. Its an odd situation for Grandpa and I to both be going through this together, but I wouldnt have it any other way. Its good to have each other to bounce things off of like we did today. This is a weird deal, and hard to understand unless you have been there, and here we both are... my goal is to be golfing again before we know it.

    Thanks for your continued support Sue, from not only my side but Grandma and Grandpa's as well. We all appreciate it.

    Catherine... thanks again for all you have done, and continue to do. I know I appreciate it personally, the food and treats have been fantastic, and I know it really helps Stacy, as she has her handsfull as is. I was just sitting here thinking that I need to dig into a few more of those DVD's. We'll have to take you out to dinner here soon. Its good to get out and about and enjoy this nice change in weather recently.

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about missing and craving that old routine, I recently had surgery for a huge herniated disc and was out of work for about six weeks. I just wanted to get back to normal. I am back now Praise the Lord but I am not happy with the level of pain they left me in and sometimes I want to just accept it so I can get back to that "normal" routine but your courage to fight til you get what you want is inspiring. I know alot of my problem is lack of patience, I just want to be better now. Hang in there Mike, I am so proud of you. You truly are an inspiration. If you ever need help in your shop, I have two boys who would love to help in anyway they could, just let us know. Patty

    ReplyDelete