Tuesday, February 23, 2010

...its gonna be a good day...

Ended last night here at my place with my parents leaving, saying their good byes, and finalizing plans for this morning.  Anyone who knows my father, knows he enjoys a good breakfast as much as the next guy.  It doesnt take much to talk him into a trip to his local regular coffee shop, where everyone knows his name.... TK.  In true carpe diem fasion, I seize the opportunity and hit him up as he walks out the door.  I mention that after radiation, we can maybe grab a bite to eat, we agree that is indeed a fine idea and we will see each other in the morning hours.  Radiation is at 9am, we typically leave by 8:30.

Sleept in til about 6:18 am, phone rings and we're up and at em.  Chalk it up to the Kacynski's superb communication skills or lack there of, but some how there was a misunderstanding about when breakfast was coming into play for this mornings plans.  Never the less I was up, did the morning routine of checking blood pressure, emptying the pill box marked "tues a.m." and on to the shower.  Except one glich, the blood pressure.  It was out of sight.  Too high to mention here.  I had to take a step back, call TK back and inform him that I needed a few mins to collect myself and get this under control.  I did, and by 7:20 I see the yellowed lights of the infamous PT Cruiser rolling in the drive.  I open the garage door, timing my shuffle just right to just slid under the door as it opens.  TK opens the passenger door to the cruiser and Im greated by the sounds Iron Maiden's "Where Eagles Dare".  My old man's Pt Cruiser is a fully equipped taxi service for me as of late.  The list of accomodations just expanded with the addition of Sirius Satellite Radio and the station known as  "The Boneyard"... a deep medley of classic rock's staple artists.  The short trip's soundtrack was interupted only once by a sudden and severe coughing spout that my father acknowedges was from what he thinks is a swallowed mustach whisker.  Thats why I love my dad.... a spades a spade, and he calls it like he sees it.

We get to Eric's cafe, my dads regular stop and a great place to eat breakfast, period.  I order a platter that gives most 300lb plus men a run for their money, most leave with a to go bag.  I had it gone by the time the coffee was refilled.  A couple of cups of coffee later, we talked plans of building about 3-4 different versions of a hidden hinge setup on a 1932 Ford, solved a few of the worlds economic woes in between, and finally we were headed to radiation.

The radiation process is typically very short.  I am usually in and out in about 20 min.  Not today.  I get there on time, loaded on the table, everything is set and in position.  Just when its time to press the "start" button, everything goes dark and chaos insues.  Apparently they had some power issues, but my 20 min session turned into me laying on a hard table still in position for over an hour.  Not good for the sore back that I am there to relieve.

Keep in mind the blood pressure.

I meet with Dr. Espinoza on Tuesday's, he is my Radiation / Oncologist.  We just make sure things are on track and we think they are, besides the fact that I am now 2 hours into an appointment that typically takes 15-20 min.  There was some discussion as to what other doctors have going with me and I determine that I just have too many doctors, especially for 29 years old.

The drive home was littered with falling ice from trees that had TK white knuckled and grabbin' gears in between a few explitives, and let me remind you of the blood pressure.

I have had a list of about 10 simple things to get done over the past 3 weeks, and none of them have been touched.  I decided to just call it a day and come home to relax and get those things done from here in the recliner.  Its amazing that I cant find time to get things done, when I have nothing to do.  I keep intending on taking a nap, and it doesnt happen.  It just might right now.

Thats about all I have for now.  A simple morning turned into a whirlwind of memorable moments.  Plans are still in place for chemo starting next week, and radiation will continue for now.

Thanks again to everyone... friends and family.  Everyone... I have spoke with people I havent seen or talked to in a while and thats a good thing.  Its amazing how things just kind of fall in place, and the right people are their when you need them.  I really cant say that enough, THANK YOU.  This is indeed a very difficult time for me and my family, but I dont know how I could be any better prepared at the age of 29 than I am now with the people that I have surrounding me.

And TK, how about them Lions?

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, breakfast and Iron Maiden. What a way to start the day. I enjoy the Boneyard myself from time to time, some great classic rock. Aren't you glad you ended up having breakfast before the "routine" radiation treatment. That must have been a powerful breakfast to be able to design hidden hood hinges and solve economic issues all in the same sitting. The crossword puzzles must not be challenging you too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody makes me laugh the way you do. I just love the way you see the world and would like to think you get that from me....let's just say it's so.
    love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike, Say isn't this a good day!! You need to write a book or post your blogs into a book. You sure do one great job and have a super great outlook on life and the curves it throws sometimes. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile today is the day of the gathering with most all of your family here, pizza of all kinds for everyone and birthday cake for Ryan & Eric along with our famous birthday song, sung by all. Now can you beat that??

    LOVE YOU GRANDMA & GRANDPA BILL

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEY MIKE THIS IS CAUSE TO CELEBRATE MY COMMENT TO YOU WENT AND COMPUTER SAID "your comment was published" THAT TELLS ME YOU GOT IT ATER AT LEAST 50 TRYS ON MY PART. DON'T YOU THINK I DESERVE A MEDAL? HA HA LOVE YOU GRANDMA BEV

    ReplyDelete