Tuesday, March 23, 2010

manic monday

I sit here drinking one of the imfamous "coffee shop milkshakes", nearly 24 hours after I was to begin the fasting procress for the procedure I endured today.  Not eatting or drinking anything in this terribly dry enviroment for 18 hours was probably the toughest part of it all.  Its hard to explain how dry it is in this hospital, and even tougher to explain how nice this milkshake is right now.

As for todays "procedure"... it went well.  After a brief consultation with Dr. Jordan just prior to going under anesthesia, he determined that to do any work in the sacrum area would involve too much risk.  There are some serious nerve endings in the sacrum that would be at risk of being damaged with a kyphoplasty.  Damage there could result in paralyzation and worse, and those are results that are always frowned up.  Dr. Jordan was very honest and open and said that he didnt feel comfortable doing anything in that area, but seen a real benefit could be gained by doing some Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) in my left Iliac wing.  There are some lesions in this area, causing alot of pain.  RFA is a process where they use a long probe to go into the back or problem area and the use pin point localized radiation to zap or kill the tumors  This process was used today in the left Iliac wing area, which is just to the side of the sacrum.  This will hopefully relieve some of the lower back and left left pain.  I am confident it will.

Just finished a lap around the 4th floor here, before I sat down to enjoy the milkshake and write this.  Thats a vast improvement, considering Friday I couldnt even walk.  I was also able to do a handfull of the daily routine most take for granted.  These are things that I couldnt do, but after some medication adjustments, and this procdure... I think we are back on track.  Not to mention, the chemotherapy... I am certain that is having a positive effect already.  Their is a possibility that more RFA will take place in the future, depending on the results of today's work.

The plan is to get out of here tomorrow.  The stay has been a great success, and well needed.  The medication list was altered greatly, but for the better.  The RFA procedure really has me excited to see where I will be in a few days after it has had time to heal up.

I am exhausted and need to call it a night.  I am probably just babbling anyway.  Been a busy couple days.  I wasnt gonna even post, but the people want a posting... so, being a man of the people, for the people.... I give the people what they want.  People wanted pics too.... so here you go... I look like a zombie, but feel pretty good.  Please excuse the cell phone pic and partial head of hair.  Its about 70% out.  I am staring at something on the TV when Stacy snapped this pic.  By the way.... GO SPARTANs ..... gotta love march madness.

5 comments:

  1. Go Mike! Great to hear you were out walking again. See you in a few. love, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike
    Thanks for having such a wonderful attitude. Hope you are going home today with less pain than yesterday. We love you and your amazing wife.(even if she does put her garbage in strange places!)See you in Baroda
    Love Pam & Glen
    p.s. Lou is hooked on peanut butter toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that your pain is getting under control! Hang in there...Have another milkshake! ;-)

    Rachel and Dustin Kyncl and kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look MARVELOUS, I don't think anyone will look at you the same. Its not cuz of what you look like, its becuz everybody knows how beautiful you are on the inside now. They will be seeing that. Keep on hangin on Mike. If you need anybody to walk or play or bathe Lou, let me know, I'm an awful big dog lover and would honored to be able to help. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike, So glad you are doing better. We always knew you were beautiful thru & thru on the inside with a big caring heart for others BUT Handsome besides! You do have a wonderful positive attude tha keeps the rest of us looking on the bright side of life. Grandpa Bill had a fairly good day yesterday but today is not so good. He is in a lot of pain and just generally not feeling good at all. He has to go into Dr Paloyans and get his blood work done so I will be driving him in and tell them about what is going on maybe it is just the effects of the chemo but I don't want to miss something that could be trouble ahead understand. Anytime he lets me drive you know he is not feeling well at all. But he is ahead of you he has not lost any of his FEW HAIRS YET! Ryan stopped in last night and we had a very nice visit with him. Sure do love you guys! Talk to you later.
    Love you! Grandma Beverly & Grandpa Bill too

    ReplyDelete