Thursday, March 25, 2010

Love, health & happiness, just to name a few ...

I dont know where too begin with this today... The medication list has me a bit overwhelmed, but thats to be understood, as there are alot of them that I take.  Its a little tough trying to maintain the balance at home that I had in the hospital.  The reason I was admitted on Friday was to get the pain under control and by Tuesday it was, therefore, I came home home.  They litterally tripled my pain medication doseages.  Since I came home I have had it undercontrol, except for a few instances.  It gets frustrating, but after some investigative work, I have determined that I need to stop being a "cowboy" as I was labeled early on.  I tend to take the minimal amount of medication I can to get by through out my day, disregarding my comfort, and it really should be the opposite.  I should be comfortable in this fight, and pain shouldnt be an issue really.  I know I will be sore, but sore and in pain are two different things.  Sore lets me know why I am here, pain makes me wish I wasnt.

I need to just slow down.  Any sence of normalcy and I go at life as it was 6 months ago, when the sky was the limit, or so I thought.  I feel great getting out of the hospital, and come home going at a pace thats about 150% faster than I should.  I need to just take my time.  This entire deal as brought my life back into check and makes me realize whats truly important.  As cliche' as that sounds, its oh so true.  I cant speak for anyone but myself, but I know that I took alot of life for granted, failing to appreciate value of many simple things in life.  Love, health and happiness just to name a few!

More appointments and shots today.  I have another chemo next week, which I look forward to.  I really do.  The side effects are getting a bit more intense each time, but I welcome the positive effects that the treatments bring.  Everything tastes the same.  Its hard to explain, but I can differentiate between textures and consistancy, but the flavor is all generically the same.  Makes it easy on the chef, ha.  I am pretty confident that the remainder of my hair will be gone after the next treatment.  Fatigue is something I still battle, weather its a physical weekness of my muscles, or just drowsiness.  Its no surprise with the cocktail they have brewing in my veins.

All and all, we are getting better, just gotta keep pluggin away.  I gotta remember that this is just a chapter in the book of life rather than the entire story.  Simple as that.  I cant worry about things that I cant change.  I can only ask for the power to change the things I can...and hopefully I will have the wisdom to know the difference between the two.

I have to thank everyone again for all they have done, especially while in hospital.  Its speaks volumes to the potential of the human spirit when the intentions are good.  I know that sounds really "deep", but there is no other way to say it.... just the messages, posts, emails, cards or packages... they all make it that much easier in one way or another.  Although its not enough to just say thank you, thats about all I can say or do.  Its amazing.

4 comments:

  1. We are so glad that you are home with your family!!!! Stacy said the Chemo treatment has shrunk your tumors, which is great news! You are on your way to recovery. Think about you often. You are doing great!!! Miss you guys :) Take care of yourself Mike.

    Holly Freese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, Just me Grandma checking in. So glad you are doing OK and better this fight you and Grandpa Bill are fighting is as much mental as it is painful. Wish I could fight it for you!
    I am going to try & get Grandpa Bill in to see Dr Paloyan this afternoon he is feeling worse than yesterday maybe they can do something to help. Need to get his fighting spirit back bet you never thought you would hear me say that right! Love you Big Guy, Grandma Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back home & you realize how you have to try to get through all of this. Take your pain meds like they tell you cuz you need them!! You really do need to write a book as all of this blog is interesting to all of us & I know I read it everyday. I admire you for your strengh & outlook and that's what will get you through these hard times... Thanks for keeping all of us so informed and we continue to pray for a speedy trip down this road you are on. Sue Rusch

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep on keepin on my dog!!! sometimes life can be a real mother faulkner!! oh wait that's me :) i know it must be hard to eat when everything tastes the same. maybe you should try some new CATFISH HELPER!! that always makes me smile

    ReplyDelete